Adam Machanic

Is This Normal? (A Month of Activity Monitoring, Part 17 of 30)

THIS CONTENT HAS BEEN MOVED HERE.

Published Sunday, April 17, 2011 11:00 AM by Adam Machanic

Comments

Anders Borum said:

Hi,

given the last paragraph in todays post I thought I'd step forward and thank you for the great work you're doing. Despite the apparent silence in the comments I think a lot people are following your series.

I'm not a DBA personally, although I spend a lot of time on top of SQL Server on a daily basis as a C# software architect; thus, i'm probably more of a casual lurker than actively engaging with questions :)

April 17, 2011 2:30 PM

Adam Machanic said:

Hi Anders,

Thank you for reading and for stepping (briefly?) out of the shadows! Enjoy :-)

--Adam

April 17, 2011 10:43 PM

Stephen Mandeville said:

Nice Work Adam and yes some DBAs are reading your series

Keep them coming

April 18, 2011 8:23 AM

Meher said:

I have been reading all the Posts by Adam and making my own notes. These are highly informative and advanced posts. Every DBA needs to read these posts.

I like to thank Adam for taking the strenuous effort and time to write these posts. This needs so much dedication and diligence to write them.

Thanks Adam.

Meher

April 21, 2011 4:35 PM

Adam Machanic said:

This post is part 30 of a 30-part series about the Who is Active stored procedure. A new post will run

April 30, 2011 11:45 AM

John Stanley said:

Simply incredible tool and series of posts. Thanks for all of your efforts.

May 17, 2011 10:57 AM

DBAGeek said:

Hi Adam,

It looks like classic parameter sniffing problem,

for this case interesting is information about compiled values from execution plan:

<ParameterList>

<ColumnReference

Column="@max_ProductID"

ParameterCompiledValue="(700)" />

<ColumnReference

Column="@min_ProductID"

ParameterCompiledValue="(1)" />

</ParameterList>

What do you think about displaying this additional info (I'm wondering about impact on performance,

It could hurt performance during searching execution plan)?

Regards DBAGeek

November 21, 2011 3:00 PM

Adam Machanic said:

Hi DBAGeek,

I agree that there is a lot of VERY useful information that could be mined from the query plan. Unfortunately, XQuery is expensive and I wouldn't want anyone doing that on a busy production system--so I've kept that kind of logic out of WIA. Perhaps some day MSFT will give us better XML support and we can do these kinds of things with less fear of causing problems.

November 21, 2011 5:05 PM

Wendy Barker said:

And some new DBAs looking through this stuff a year later.   Awesome stuff, thanks.   It will help our house tremendously when I get the power to baseline and monitor.   step by step though

September 11, 2012 11:39 AM

Dennis said:

2015, still a good read :-)

I'm marathoning the whole series.

April 21, 2015 9:34 AM

Paulo said:

Wendy Barker said:  "And some new DBAs looking through this stuff a year later."

A year later .... ha!  Try 4 years later.

Like Dennis I am binge reading.  I have read 17 of 30 today, & I am not done yet.

Thanks Adam!

November 2, 2015 10:52 PM

Gerard said:

Breaking the silence. This is still awesome in 2016!

April 2, 2016 8:00 AM
New Comments to this post are disabled

About Adam Machanic