Adam Machanic

Do You Change the Results to Grid Font in SSMS?

Update: Please respond here instead.  Thanks for the great idea, Alex!

Please respond and let me know:

A) Whether you change it at all

and

B) If so, whether you use a fixed width font (the default font is non-fixed width)

Background, in case you're curious: I modified a newer version of Who is Active?, based on some feedback I received from Aaron Bertrand asking for right-padding of the numbers in the result.  I did this modification based on my assumption that most people won't change the default grid font, and even if they do change it they'll still use a non-fixed width font.  I tested my modification on my end and sent it over to Aaron to see what he thought, and low and behold he has changed his own SSMS settings to use a fixed width font.  Oops!  I would be very interested in finding out how many of you do the same.  If the vast majority of people do indeed leave the font unchanged, or at least in the same font family, perhaps I'll leave the right-padding as-is (I happen to like it, personally -- sorry, Aaron!).  If I'm mistaken in my assumption, I'll rip it out.

Thanks for letting me know, either way.

Published Friday, April 24, 2009 5:28 PM by Adam Machanic
Filed under: , ,

Comments

Adam Machanic said:

Hello?  45 views so far and no comments.  This is an interactive post; please take a moment to respond!

April 24, 2009 5:14 PM

david wei said:

I only change Grid Font when do a presentation, so people on last row can see it without need the zoomit.

David.

April 24, 2009 5:30 PM

Alexander Kuznetsov said:

I always change grid fonts. Adam, can you set up a survey in your forum?

April 24, 2009 5:37 PM

Adam Machanic said:

April 24, 2009 5:47 PM

AaronBertrand said:

Don't feel bad on my account.  :-)  The right-padding is just a nice-to-have and I can correct it in my local copies as you release updates (once I correct it to pad Consolas correctly).

April 24, 2009 9:00 PM

Mike Walsh said:

Can't vote at that link apparently. I would vote "No" though if I could. Actually I'm embarrassed to say that I would have voted, "I have been using SQL Server for 10 years, considerED myself to have moved from beginner skill set and never even knew you could change the font <sheepish grin>"

April 24, 2009 9:19 PM

MikeWalsh said:

have to be logged on (thanks to Aaron for being online and on twitter.. see Twitter provided benefit one more time ;-) )

April 24, 2009 9:49 PM

AaronBertrand said:

Adam still thinks twitter is silly.  I'll admit that it has its moments... if I need to focus on something then I need to shut down the application, as it can be much more intrusive than e-mail and my phone combined.  But I have learned many things using twitter that I might not have otherwise, and I think I have shared information with more people than I could have without it.

April 25, 2009 12:06 PM

AaronBertrand said:

Adam I wrote a blog post for co-workers recently on using twitter, you may want to check it out.

April 25, 2009 12:09 PM

Adam Machanic said:

Nice post!

I'm seriously considering Twitter, but I think I'm going to get on Facebook first.  One social media outlet at a time :-)

April 25, 2009 3:08 PM

Michelle Ufford said:

Nope, I don't change mine.

April 27, 2009 11:22 AM

jerryhung said:

I don't change mine

I don't want to get too dependent on customization on my SSMS, because then I'll feel handicapped when I use other SSMS instances, whether remote desktop or default SSMS

SQL Prompt is a classic example :)

April 27, 2009 3:31 PM

Hugo Kornelis said:

Hi Adam,

I only change it to enlarge the font before a presentation and to set it back to default afterwards.

And I mostly use results to text anyway.

Best, Hugo