Adam Machanic

SQL Server 2008: Return of the Debugger

A lot of people will be interested to know that at the launch event in LA it was announced that the T-SQL debugger is returning to Management Studio in SQL Server 2008.

Personally, this is not a feature I've been lamenting the loss of; I never used it in SQL Server 2000, and unless we can view temp tables, table variables, etc, I just don't see it as something with a lot of utility for the way I personally develop T-SQL.

But this isn't just about me, and I know that there was a huge amount of interested in seeing the debugger come back into the core SQL Server tools.  So congrats to all of the step debug fans out there; get your F10 keys ready for SQL Server 2008!

Published Friday, February 29, 2008 8:06 AM by Adam Machanic

Comments

Ognjen said:

Adam, I am interested what did you use for debugging in sql server 2000

March 13, 2008 5:03 PM

Hiwot said:

I am Hiwot from Ethiopia. I want so know about SQL server so please help to send document for knownin very deep about SQL. So please help me.

March 14, 2008 4:26 AM

Cornelius H. Olio said:

I am wanting also learn much about SQL server, please send "TP" document, I believe summarized in TP(S?) report '08...maybe much better.

March 16, 2008 2:00 PM

Rafael Guerrero said:

The debugger is great!!  I used the debugger to step into complex code while researching obscure data issues.  The version in SQL2K allowed you to view data in variables, temp tables, etc.  It is a must have tool in a hard core SQL shop.

March 19, 2008 12:27 PM

Rob Mills said:

I for one am fired up that it's returning.  Never understood why they didn't include it in 2005.

March 19, 2008 3:35 PM

Adam Machanic said:

Ognjen: Strategic use of PRINT / RAISERROR / SELECT.  Not pretty, but it works...

Rafael: No, it did not allow you to view data in temp tables.

Cornelius: The TPS Reports are on their way!

March 21, 2008 3:10 PM