Adam Machanic

SQL Server 2008 CTP5 VHD Now Available

Lazy developer that I am, I just hate running installers to set up VHDs for the SQL Server 2008 CTPs.  So I was overjoyed when Microsoft did the work for me and released a pre-installed VHD image for CTP4.

CTP5, alas, did not ship with a VHD, forcing me once again down the path of the dreaded installer. But today I'm happy to report that Microsoft has once again come through for those of us who simply can't be bothered to click the "Next" button; a VHD for CTP5 has appeared on the Microsoft Download Center.

So download, enjoy, and think of all of the effort you'll save by not having to install...

Published Wednesday, December 05, 2007 11:46 AM by Adam Machanic

Comments

Denis Gobo said:

Ha,

but you have to download 4 files which means right clicking 4 times. How many next buttons are there on the installer?

Then you need to merge them (I assume vpc can't merger them for you)

:-)

I installed win 2008 server and am thinking about installing SQL 2008 on that, one nice thing is that you can't mount an ISO from within virtual server

December 5, 2007 11:05 AM

Denis Gobo said:

obviously instead of

one nice thing is that you can't mount an ISO

it should have been

one nice thing is that you can mount an ISO

December 5, 2007 11:08 AM

Adam Machanic said:

Great point!  I downloaded and installed CTP5 into a Server 2003 VHD this weekend, all within the VHD.  It probably would have been a lot faster to mount an extrenal ISO.  I'll keep that in mind for next time...

December 5, 2007 11:12 AM

roman said:

Even "lazy developers" like you and me should test their installs, at least according to Aaron ;-)

December 5, 2007 12:19 PM

Hugo Kornelis said:

Indeed - but if a "lazy developer" can't get past some bug in the install, despite numerous tries ... and if that "lazy developer" than has to wait 11 days before getting the reaction "we are looking into this" ... and then again nothing for a week ...

then THIS lazy developer is quite happy with this VHD download, so that I can at least get SOME testing done!!

Downloading as I write - thanks for the heads up, Adam!

December 5, 2007 5:35 PM

AaronBertrand said:

Hey, I never said "lazy" once!

December 5, 2007 8:26 PM

Adam Machanic said:

Hugo: I downloaded and installed (*shudder*) this last weekend.  Worked fine... What bug did you encounter?

December 5, 2007 10:13 PM

Hugo Kornelis said:

Adam - I intended to include a link in my previous comment, because I knew I'd get questions if I didn't. I had in fact already found the page in a seperate tab, and then I clicked "Submit" without including it. Duh!

Anyway, here it is: https://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer/feedback/ViewFeedback.aspx?FeedbackID=311133

The short story is that the install claims to have failed for some components, including the DB engine, but doesn't give any explanation. Quick inspection of the logs doesn't explain the problem (at least not to me - and the fact that MS said to look into it at 11/30 and hasn't yet reported back indicates that it's not easy for them to find either).

December 6, 2007 4:29 AM