Aaron Bertrand

Aaron is a senior consultant for SQL Sentry, Inc., makers of performance monitoring and event management software for SQL Server, Analysis Services, and Windows. He has been blogging here at sqlblog.com since 2006, focusing on manageability, performance, and new features; has been a Microsoft MVP since 1997; tweets as @AaronBertrand; and speaks frequently at user group meetings and SQL Saturday events.

SQL Server 2012 Service Pack 1 Cumulative Update #2 is available!

The SQL Server team has released CU #2 for Service Pack 1, which should include all of the fixes from CU #5, as well as some others.

• KB article: KB #2790947
  • Build # is 11.0.3339
  • This build has FIFTY fixes!

There is also a KB article (KB #2792921) describing a couple of new features delivered with this cumulative update: enhancements to sysprep, and the ability to backup directly to Windows Azure Blob storage.

Relevant for builds 11.0.3000 -> 11.0.3338. Do not attempt to install on SQL Server 2012 RTM (any build < 11.0.3000) or any previous version.

Published Thursday, January 24, 2013 2:42 PM by AaronBertrand

Comments

Wim GEUKENS said:

I was really waiting for this, it has the fix for the msiexec.exe problem (see http://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer/feedback/details/770630) in it

January 25, 2013 2:49 AM

Ville said:

I had to reboot to get Management studio working after this update. Not happened before with 2012 atleast.

January 25, 2013 6:59 AM

Chris Wood said:

The notes talk about new ODBC drivers. If I read them correctly they are NOT included in the CU right? If we want to use them we need to download and install them?

Thanks

Chris

January 25, 2013 10:07 AM

AaronBertrand said:

@Ville can you be more specific? What exactly wasn't working?

@Chris yes, I believe those are completely separate. There's usually an update for CUs meant just for connectivity components and drivers (usually it has SNAC in the name) but I don't know if that's there anywhere (it is only relevant when there are changes to client libraries) or if it would include ODBC stuff anyway aside from native client explicitly.

The blog post talks about it more and has download links:

January 25, 2013 10:29 AM

Ville said:

I guess it's late to answer already, but I was getting some sort of exception right after clicking to start management studio after the update. After reboot it was fine.

Well I can also say that if management studio has been running longer (I don't know what is the trigger) it will always crash when I'm shutting it down. But this has been a problem since RTM and I've sent the report every time it happens.

February 19, 2013 3:05 AM

Alex said:

Aaron, I was installing this CU2 hotfix on some of my servers and was wondering why is this patch reported as QFE type:

KBArticle:                     KB2790947

KBArticleHyperlink:            http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=2790947

PatchType:                     QFE

Does it matter when next package will be applied?

August 19, 2013 2:24 PM