Aaron Bertrand

Aaron is a senior consultant for SQL Sentry, Inc., makers of performance monitoring and event management software for SQL Server, Analysis Services, and Windows. He has been blogging here at sqlblog.com since 2006, focusing on manageability, performance, and new features; has been a Microsoft MVP since 1997; tweets as @AaronBertrand; and speaks frequently at user group meetings and SQL Saturday events.

SQL Server 2012 Cumulative Update #3 is available!

Today the SQL Server Release Services Team has released the third Cumulative Update for SQL Server 2012.

The KB article is at: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2723749.

The build number is: 11.0.2332.0.

There are 35 fixes publicly documented at the time of writing.

Published Thursday, August 30, 2012 12:01 AM by AaronBertrand

Comments

techvslife said:

Can we apply this patch to localdb?  I still show localdb at 11.0.2100, after the main sql server on the machine was updated with cu3 to 11.0.2332.

thanks

(p.s. this patch, like all the others for sql 2012, mistakenly says it is an upgrade to "the August CTP edition" on the splash screen).

September 3, 2012 5:35 PM

AaronBertrand said:

@tech did you install local db as a part of SQL Server setup, or using the standalone installer here: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=29062

September 4, 2012 5:03 PM

AaronBertrand said:

@tech I installed SQL Server 2012 RTM, then installed the standalone localdb installer from the URL in my last comment. My main instance is still RTM but any *new* localdb instance I create is 11.0.2318. Just a guess, but if you created localdb instances while still at RTM, they're stuck at RTM?

September 4, 2012 5:32 PM

AaronBertrand said:

Seems like the CU update does not apply to localdb, even though it is a shared feature that should allegedly get updated:

I also was unable to see anywhere that said "August CTP" - which screen was that specifically?

September 4, 2012 5:51 PM

techvslife said:

@AaronBertrand

When you run the cu3 exe hotfix/update file, the first screen after extraction of files is processed (the configuration check screen): on top it says "Sql Server 2012 Update ... This installation provides updates for SQL Server 2012 CTP Preview (August CTP)."  All the updates for Sql2012 say that, but it could be I'm the only guy who reads these screens.

Local db is always showing at 11.0.2100.60 for me, both in "remove programs" (control panel) and in VS2012 Sql explorer. It looks like a bug (along with the old multiple Data Tier App framework that get littered there).

I didn't realize LocalDB got installed with Sql2012.  I had installed VS2012 pro (after sql2012), and thought localdb was installed with VS.  I only use or see localdb with VS2012 (where you pretty much have no choice but to use it)--View, Sql Object Explorer.  Seems VS2012 also requires it with database schema compares, which I do all the time.

September 4, 2012 9:39 PM

AaronBertrand said:

You might be right about Visual Studio. In trying to repro your scenario I skipped the Visual Studio installation - I even complained to some colleagues within MS about the LocalDB not appearing in the SQL installer (oops).

Clearly the version of SqlLocalDb that ships with Visual Studio is still the RTM version, even though the standalone installer is a more modern build (that said, it falls between CU#1 and CU#2).

I was able to see the screen you're talking about. I wasn't seeing it before because setup skips to the second screen; you can only get there by clicking back. I filed a bug, please feel free to comment / up-vote:

September 4, 2012 9:57 PM

AaronBertrand said:

Also, you should see what happens if you download the standalone SqlLocalDb.exe. I wonder if it:

(a) replaces the engine for all localdb instances, existing and future

(b) only replaces the engine for all new localdb instances

(c) creates a completely separate localdb engine that runs side-by-side

I can't perform this test on any of the VMs I have ready access to, since their localdb engines are already at 11.0.2318.

September 4, 2012 9:59 PM

TechVsLife said:

On installing the localdb standalone, the installer said it discovered an old version and would upgrade it.  The final version of localdb is now the same as what you report, 11.0.2318, and that's what shows up in Vs2012.  The installer does NOT create another separate localdb installation, fortunately. (I'd prefer to have only one instance, my sql server developer edition, on my pc, but I suspect that something tragic might happen sooner or later with vs2012 if I remove localdb.)

I had vs2012 closed when I ran the installer, but it seems to use 11.0.2318 for all new invocations of localdb.

(btw I downloaded x64 since my sql is x64, and it looks like VS2012 had installed an x64 version of localdb, judging from the number of files for localdb in "prog files" compared to "prog files (x86)").

September 5, 2012 1:23 AM

Aaron Bertrand said:

Last week I announced that SQL Server 2012 Cumulative Update #3 was released. A question came up about

September 6, 2012 2:31 PM

Ionescu Marius said:

Hi. The question is: auto increment (auto identity field) problem, after restart sql the increment number is not ok (1...750)ok, server restart (1725...)wrong was solved or its need more time for that?

November 7, 2012 9:04 AM